Re: RPM notes

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 13:28, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I think it would make sense to generate all the RPMs for a given
> package at once: the ordinary bytecode RPM, plus the corresponding
> devel package, plus both rhug packages.

I only envision 3 packages:
* The native runtime binary package
* The noarch package with .jar and property files.
* The devel package with static libs, headers and API documentation.

What is the fourth?

> This might mean coordinating
> with the vendors in some way.  What do you think of that?  The benefit
> is version consistency, and also single ownership of the .jar file.

In a perfect world, yes... however I suspect that this will be difficult
to get going.  For instance, the RPMs I've seen for many of these
packages are already maintained by 3rd parties.  The RPM maintainers
would have to be sufficiently motivated to maintain dual build systems
(ANT, which is almost the universal build tool of choice for Java, and
the rhug mechanism -- or we somehow figure out how to build binaries
from ANT (I am skeptical, or we figure out an automated ANT -> autotool
converter).  We have a number of local hacks to work around (1) compiler
bugs and (2) different runtime features and (3) different runtime
semantics.  These would have to be maintained somehow as well.  We can
try to push as many upstream as possible.

> This is great work, btw.

Thanks!  I got many more packages cleaned up yesterday.  Probably more
than half are done now.

AG