Re: libtool woes

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Alexandre Petit-Bianco wrote:
> This is fine. Could you please write ChangeLog entries?

Attached patch tries to include portability, in particular for
cross-compiling and alternate toolchains, by having both gcj and gcjh
calls support defining their paths manually or by host/build-type prefix.
There's also the removal of the inefficient "jar uf" line in gnu.readline
(*).

The ChangeLog entries lie a bit; I did re-build the build-scripts, however
I haven't included the diffs in this patch as I'm using slightly different
versions of the build-tools, and want to avoid cluttering the CVS
repository with generated files fluctuating back and forth. It's quite
undesirable to have to add ChangeLog entries with just "Rebuilt" for every
generated file, so I took the liberty to leave the generated files out of
the patch. Just remember to re-build them when applying the patch.

(*) bsf/Makefile.am, jakarta-servletapi/Makefile.am, jython/Makefile.am,
rhino/Makefile.am and gnu.regexp/Makefile.am still use "jar uf", and hence
cannot be built with the GCC build-tools alone. Several other
source-directories apparently just ignore including the resource-files in
the $(JARFILE) target. Until GCC's jar supports update, I think the proper
solution would be to just add these resource-files on the original "jar
cf" line, but I haven't touched these yet due to various questions about
the resource-file handling.

 -Jukka Santala