Re: pthreads-win32 2.8.0, stack alignment, and SSE code

regarding my initial problem of making ATLAS work with pthread-win32, a solution was found with solves all ATLAS alignment problems without having to patch pthreads: it is to add the option

-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2

to the gcc ATLAS flags ( see http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2170667&group_id=23725&atid=379483 ). This should work with any client lib of pthreads. More generally it makes gcc more compliant with a platform such as win32 whose ABI only guarantees 4-byte stack alignment.

I still think aligning the stack of newly created threads on a 16-byte boundary would be a useful option for pthread-win32.

Ross Johnson a écrit :
I've just read this whole thread for the first time. I haven't come across this issue of alignment on Intel processors before so I thought I'd better at least Google around the subject before replying. Unfortunately I've got to run now and won't be reading mail for another 5 days or so.

I would very likely include the patch as a build option, so I'm wondering if you've tried building the library with the -mstackrealign gcc flag that does the same thing as force_align_arg_pointer (I haven't tried either of these but read about it).

Ross

Ramiro Polla wrote:
Sébastien Kunz-Jacques wrote:
If for some reason it is not desirable to patch the lib, would it be possible to have some easy to see disclaimer added about this problem somewhere?

Oh, that's not my call =). It's up to Ross Johnson to decide. I simply had lots of free time today and decided to share my ideas. You can disregard anything I said... (although I think they might help).

The patch is not necessary because 4-byte alignment is enough for x86 and Win32, but it certainly might help some people to avoid a headache like you mentioned.

Ramiro Polla