From: pthreads-win32-owner@sources.redhat.com
[mailto:pthreads-win32-owner@sources.redhat.com]On Behalf Of Ross
Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 9:33 AM
To: pthreads-win32
Subject: Re: snap-2004-11-03 breakage

Hi,

I definitely don't want to break applications unnecessarily and
particularly applications that have been ported to several different
POSIX systems, but on the other hand POSIX thread IDs are not required
to be scalar. See the rationale from the definition of pthread_equal()
in the Single Unix Specification version 3, which says:

        RATIONALE

    Implementations may choose to define a thread ID as a structure.
    This allows additional flexibility and robustness over using an
    *int*. For example, a thread ID could include a sequence number that
    allows detection of "dangling IDs" (copies of a thread ID that has
    been detached). Since the C language does not support comparison on
    structure types, the /pthread_equal/() function is provided to
    compare thread IDs.

I don't think this is new to SUS or SUS version 3 either.

Nor (given the above) does the value 0 (zero) for a thread ID have any
special meaning in the standard, although it obviously does as the value
returned by ec_thread_getpid() in ettercap. If you want to test if a
thread exists given it's thread ID, use:

    if (pthread_kill(pid, 0) == 0)  /* or (... != ESRCH) */

That should be portable to all POSIX implementations.

I'm not dismissing your problem, but in this case I think it would be
better to fix the application.

Regards.
Ross

Gisle Vanem wrote:

> snap-2004-11-03 breaks a lot of applications by the way 'pthread_t' is
> defined:
>
> typedef struct {
>    void * p;                   /* Pointer to actual object */
>    unsigned int x;             /* Extra information - reuse count etc */
> } ptw32_handle_t;
>
> typedef ptw32_handle_t pthread_t;
>
> Code like (from Ettercap)
>  pthread_t pid = ec_thread_getpid("golem");
>  if (pid != 0)
>    ec_thread_destroy(pid);
>
> no longer works; you cannot compare a struct against 0.
>
> I'm not sure you really meant to do that or if the typedef should be
> typedef ptw32_handle_t *pthread_t;
>
> --gv

       This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not open any attachments, delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have done so.  Thank you.