Announcing Pthreads-win32 snapshot 2000-08-10

All,

I've just uploaded snapshot 2000-08-10 to

ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/pthreads-win32/

I'm hoping this will be an interim snapshot only
(see below).

As usual the project web site with links to the
announcement is at

http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/

Change Summary (since the last snapshot)

(See the ChangeLog file for details. My apologies
if I've missed an attribution.)

New:
-       asynchronous cancelation on X86 (Jason Nye)
-       Makefile compatible with MS nmake to replace
        buildlib.bat
-       GNUmakefile for Mingw32
-       tests/Makefile for MS nmake replaces runall.bat
-       tests/GNUmakefile for Mingw32

Bugs fixed:
-       kernel32 load/free problem
-       hide internal exceptions from application
        exception handlers (__try/__except and try/catch blocks)
-       Win32 thread handle leakage bug
        (David Baggett/Paul Redondo/Eyal Lebedinsky)

Some new tests have been added.

PLEASE BEWARE:
-------------
The DLL builds fine for both VC++ using SEH and Mingw32
g++. The VC++ SEH dll passes all the tests, HOWEVER,
please note the list of known bugs below. I have some more detailed
information on bug 1 if anyone is interested in tracking it down
and wants a better starting point. Also, if those who have
built previous snapshots under VC++ using C++ EH rather than SEH
could let the list know if it builds and tests ok, that will
obviously help.

Known bugs in this snapshot
---------------------------

1. Running the test "join1.c" with the library built with Mingw32
and the GNUmakefile included, the test fails with a segmentation
(invalid
page access) exception. The fault appears to be in the assembler code
emmitted by the compiler [to handle exception contexts] at the
end of the try block in _pthread_threadStart().

2. There are problems with using the libpthread32.a file derived
from the VC++ SEH version of pthread.dll. You may have to wait until
bug(1.) is fixed.

3. I have not been able to build with VC++ using C++ EH. This is a
maintainer problem who doesn't know how to do it. Consequently
there may also be basic parser errors and warnings to be cleaned
up in the code.

--
| Ross Johnson         |   | E-Mail: rpj@ise.canberra.edu.au
| Info Sciences and Eng|___|
| University of Canberra   | FAX:    +61 6 2015227
| PO Box 1                 |
| Belconnen  ACT    2616   | WWW:    http://willow.canberra.edu.au/~rpj/
| AUSTRALIA                |