Re: Add memcpy support for SPARC

On 05/24/2018 02:09 PM, Aditya Upadhyay wrote:
Hi Developers,

Is this ok to add memcpy implementation from Open Solaries?

https://bitbucket.org/a3217055/illumos-gate-import/src/741592a55c4c9746705ce0fd9232f5acded43ed0/usr/src/lib/libc/sparc/gen/memcpy.s?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default

That uses the CDDL license.  Nothing else in newlib does.

The FSF claims CDDL and GPL are incompatible; others refute this claim (such as https://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/2094/are-cddl-and-gpl-really-incompatible), but I'm not a lawyer to say who is right. At any rate, given the controversy, my gut feel is that you should NOT copy any CDDL code into newlib, unless YOU provide the lawyers to back up your claim.

If yes, then Could you please tell us rules about modifying the
Licance of third party code?

I _do_ know that you CANNOT modify the existing license on ANY file that you are importing from a third party, since you are not the license holder (some permissive licenses allow you to relicense code under a more restrictive license of your choice, which is different from modifying the existing license - but I doubt CDDL falls into that category). And of course, using that code without copying the license statement is a bad idea.

So that probably means using OpenSolaris code as your base point is a bad idea.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266