Re: Unicode update of width and other character properties

On Feb 25 18:14, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> I have finally revamped, manually rebased, and repackaged my Unicode data
> patches which I'll send in separate mail.
> However, as I don't have a command-line sendmail set up (and apparently it's
> not as easy as it used to be),
> I'll send zip archives which contain git-patch files.

No, sorry, but no.  It's not that tricky to send standard git patch
series, we're all doing this.  If your MUA doesn't fit, use another MUA
or *attach* the patches, one per mail.

> There are two patches:
> libc/string: wcwidth using generated width data, with data generated from
> Unicode 10.0
> libc/ctype: isw* and tow* functions using generated case conversion and
> character class data, with Unicode 10.0 data
> For both, generation script and a Makefile.widthdata / Makefile.chardata is
> included. As these are to be used in the source directory,
> not the binary target directory, in case of future Unicode update, they are
> not related to the other Makefiles.

Eh, what?  If you read back, I had no problems with your patches 2 and
3, only with patch 1 adding new makefiles.  So the only thing I actually
asked for was to integrate the creation of the generated tables into
Makefile.am and now you're telling me this is not what you changed...?

> In ctype/, there is one new source (categories.c) which should be compiled
> separately but although I tried to include it in Makefile.am,
> I could not get the build process to compile it. So the current solution is
> to include it from one of the other sources (the one that also maintains the
> case conversion table).

That's a workaround, not a solution.  When you change Makefile.am you
have to regenerate Makefile.in, obviously.

However, since regenerating Makefile.in for newlib is (unfortunately,
for historical reasons) non-obvious, you can just go ahead and manually
add categories.* to Makefile.in where it belongs, kind of like the
attached.  A later regeneration run by one of the maintainers will fix
the formatting so that's nothing to worry about.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer