Re: newlib hours in service

On 2017-09-06 09:24, Alan Ludwig wrote:
> I'm trying to get an estimate of the order of magnitude of the total number
> of hours in service for newlib. Is it thousands of hours? Millions of hours?
> Tens of millions of hours? For which versions?
>
> Usually, I'd work this backwards from estimates of the number of downloads,
> installed seats, size of the user base, etc. However, newlib doesn't seem to
> have any of this sort of information available at the download or support
> websites.
>
> Do you have any information that I might use to estimate the hours in
> service for newlib? The numbers can be very rough. I'm only trying to choose
> an order of magnitude. Is it 10^4 or say 10^7 total hours? Any information
> that I might use to make these gross estimates would be appreciated.

Even estimating downloads you'd need IP address logs from sourceware for git
source, for those who rebuild everything from scratch, and from all Cygwin
mirrors, for those who install packages.
Cygwin usage would be difficult to estimate as it could range from tens to
thousands of hours per year on server and desktop platforms.