Re: GIT source build failure: wcwidth.c::_wcwidth misses __locale_cjk_lang()

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:

> * I'm less than clear about what to do with the libtool support files.
> autoreconf really wants there to be a 'newlib/m4' directory or similar for
> them to be in, but for now, they're in newlib itself.

Certainly for GCC, quite possibly for newlib, updating libtool is said to
require libtool commit 3334f7ed5851ef1e96b052f2984c4acdbf39e20c to be
reverted from the version of libtool code used (see
<https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2011-01/msg00520.html>).  That
dependence on a modified libtool version renders it particularly unsuited
to using any version of libtool someone has installed (which won't have
that change) rather than checked-in libtool files.

(My view is we should keep the generated files checked in but be stricter
about enforcing that a particular, current, version of the tools is used
to generate them, and about making it clear how to do a global
regeneration.  It's possible that the version in subdirectories owned by
newlib-cygwin might be newer than the versions used for binutils-gdb and
GCC, if updating the versions for those projects is harder.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com