Re: GIT source build failure: wcwidth.c::_wcwidth misses __locale_cjk_lang()

[CC newlib mailing list since it affects newlib in the first place]

On Aug 21 14:28, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
> Am 21.08.2016 um 12:30 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
>
> > thanks for the report, but I can't reproduce this.  I can build Cygwin
> > fine natively as well as on Linux, with and without optimization.
>
> That's strange.  On Re-examination, it builds here, too, even without the
> added include.  I.e. effectively it took only a `touch` of wcwidth.c to fix
> this.
>
> Could there be a problem with the dependency handling in the newlib auto-foo
> which caused changes to header files to fail triggering a rebuild?

Yes.  If you just pulled and rebuilt, there's a chance that you got
the new headers without triggering a rebuild of dependent sources.

> And while I'm at it: what _is_ the dependency handling here, anyway?  I
> can't seem to find any.  Which could indeed explain the problem.

That's because dependency handling is basically non-existing in newlib.

Nobody added a patch yet to do that.  Newlib being open-source, there's
of course nothing keeping anybody from adding it (*nudge*, *nudge*).

A big problem for many people keeping them from provide patches to the
configury is that newlib's build system still requires the automake
--cygnus option, which isn't supported by automake for quite some time.
The trick is to use an older versions of automake for rebuilding the
configury.  I'm having goods results with this script, which can be
called from newlib or the libc/libm subdirs:

  #!/bin/bash
  aclocal-1.12.2 -I. -I..
  autoconf
  automake-1.12.2 --cygnus --no-force

The autoconf version actually doesn't matter much so I'm using 2.69.

I'm not automake savvy enough to know what to do to get rid of the
--cygnus requirement :(

Corinna

Red Hat