RE: Wrong documentation for open()

Hi Friedrich,

just to explain why this bug exists:

AFAIK, Unix originally had a two argument open(2).  creat(2) was used to create new files.

At some point, open(2) was changed to also be able to create new files.  For this case,
a extra third argument was required.

For the ABIs (and K&R C) on which Unix ran at that time, this did not make a difference in practice;
code could and still can use the two argument version.

With ANSI C, it was possible to
specify this interface in terms of variable argument lists.

Regards

Konrad