Re: Evil deed: Switching development repository to git

On Thu, 5 Mar 2015, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> next week, I'm planning to move the combined newlib/libgloss and cygwin
> repository from CVS to git.  The basic stuff is quickly done, but hooks,
> mailing list handling, and changes to the websites are to be done, so I
> expect the switch to take about two days.

Exactly which files and directories from the src repository will be
included in the new git repository?

Will the src CVS repository be made read-only after the move (the whole
thing rather than just the moved directories)?  There are projects in it
that are neither newlib/libgloss/cygwin nor binutils-gdb, but they are
sufficiently inactive that making it read-only would seem reasonable to me
anyway (if someone wishes to resurrect cgen, sid, etc., they'd then need
to start by setting up a separate repository).  Then it would be clear
that changes to shared top-level files and directories such as config/
need to go to exactly three places (GCC, binutils-gdb, newlib-cygwin).
(The last time I checked those repositories had unfortunately got somewhat
out of sync for the shared files.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com