Re: Support for long long type for C99 and C++11 compliant compilers

On Thu, 2014-10-09 at 14:34 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Sep  9 20:05, Thomas Uhle wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > the attached patch fixes some issues with long long type support for
> > compilers that have C99 or C++11 compliance. For instance, llabs(),
> > lldiv() and atoll() have been missing if g++ was invoked with option
> > '-std=c++11'.
>
> Your patch is missing a ChangeLog entry.  Also, why do you replace "long
> long" with _LONG_LONG_TYPE?  Isn't _LONG_LONG_TYPE always "long long"?
> Also, while you're doing this in math.h, you're sticking to "long long"
> for other declarations like for atoll.
>
> What's the reasoning here?

Hi Corinna,

thanks for your reply!  The macro _LONG_LONG_TYPE has been used rather
inconsistently through math.h, for llroundl() it is _LONG_LONG_TYPE, for
llroundf() it is "long long" for instance. I just tried to get its usage
aligned for all of these functions. As far as I can see, _LONG_LONG_TYPE
is only used in math.h, nowhere else. That is why I did not touch
anything else. And _LONG_LONG_TYPE is defined in _ansi.h to be "long
long" if _HAVE_STDC is defined and to be just "long" if _HAVE_STDC is
not defined. I do not know the rationale, but it seems that it has been
there since the time of the following entry in the ChangeLog:

| 2007-12-19  Dave Korn  <dave.korn@artimi.com>
|             Jeff Johnston  <jjohnstn@redhhat.com>
|
|         * libc/include/_ansi.h: Add _LONG_LONG definition.
|         * libc/include/math.h (llrint, llrintf, rintl, lrintl, llrintl): Add
|         prototypes.

I could perfectly live without _LONG_LONG_TYPE, though. But I do not
know whether replacing _LONG_LONG_TYPE by "long long" does break things
on any other platform. That is why ...

Surely I can send an update of the patch that is also adding an entry to
the ChangeLog once you have decided how to get along with
_LONG_LONG_TYPE. So just let me know ...

Best regards,

Thomas

--
Thomas Uhle
System Specification Mixed-Signal Systems