Re: Question on posix_dir in configure.host

There is no: "you should set posix_dir". The libc/posix directory has optional functions to add to the library. These functions are not C89 standard and come from the Posix standard. They may require syscalls in addition to the minimal set for newlib platforms (e.g. popen requires pipe()). Many of the embedded platforms only support the minimal syscall set via libgloss.

So, if your system has those extra syscalls implemented and you want to add some of those Posix functions for your end-users, then enable them to build. You can exclude various functions there via compile flags in the case where you support some of the required syscalls but not all.

Cygwin is interested in supplying these functions and has the syscalls to support them so they enable them into their build of newlib.

-- Jeff J.