Re: newlib.git: cvs-to-git mirror imminent

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> On Friday 07 October 2011 09:05:17 Jim Meyering wrote:
> > I'm about to set up a read-only git mirror of sourceware.org's cvs
> > newlib repository.  When it's on-line, you should see it in this list:
> >
> >     http://sourceware.org/git/
> >
> > and be able to clone it via this:
> >
> >     git clone git://sourceware.org/git/newlib.git
> >
> > The git repository will be sync'd from CVS every hour or so.
>
> thanks !
>
> now if only we could get the sourceware tree moved to git ... :)

I'll repeat my previous point from several past discussions: please, no
conversions of the huge tree with lots of independent projects in it, the
aim should be for each project to control its own repository (including
its own choice of version control system) independently.  That too many
independent projects are shoehorned into one repository is one of the
major problems with the present setup.
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2011-03/msg00486.html> (and subsequent
discussion in that thread) has my most recent version of what I think
separate repositories might look like - each project should lead its own
conversion as and when it wishes to move out.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com