Re: Am I crazy? Does newlib build nothing? SOLVED

On 08/04/11 15:35, DJ Delorie wrote:
In a bare-metal environment, you cross-compile newlib, and different
tests are done at configure time.

What you're doing different is: trying to use newlib as a linux C
library.

If you are trying to bootstrap gcc+glibc, do not use newlib - there
are ways to bootstrap gcc+glibc.  See:

http://djdelorie.fedorapeople.org/

The bootstrap GIT repo has a "stage1" script that bootstraps a kernel,
compiler, and glibc - all from scratch, all cross-compiled.  You solve
the chicken-and-egg problem by building part of one, then part of the
other, then more of the first, etc.

Thank you for the pointers. My apologies for misinterpreting the use of newlib in a cross-compilation environment; I see now that I really need to build glibc instead of newlib for my purposes. Of course I'm having problems with that too since its configure script *also* wants to be able to link programs, but that is not the concern of this list, and I will look at the script that you referenced for clues about how to get around this.

Thanks again,
Bryan