Re: On the toplevel configure and build system

On 03/30/2011 05:15 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

Specifically, I propose removal of all support for building: ash autoconf
automake bash byacc bzip2 diff dosutils fileutils findutils find gawk
gettext gnuserv gzip hello indent libiconv libtool make mmalloc patch perl
prms rcs release recode sed send-pr shellutils tar textutils time uudecode
wdiff zip expect guile target-gperf target-examples target-qthreads.  See
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2011-03/msg01674.html>  and followups
regarding reasons to keep a few packages in my original list that aren't
in the list above.

There's been push-back on libiconv and expect.

I still think expect has no reason to stay in the toplevel (not any more than tcl or tk).

dejagnu is another story, and there's good reasons for leaving libiconv as well.

2'. If the combination of directories present in the source tree would not
build and install anything for the host or target (other than host
libraries such as libiberty) then there should be an error at configure or
build time.  For example, a GCC source tree should not quietly build
nothing because GCC isn't supported for the target; a binutils+gdb tree
should not quietly build nothing for lack of BFD support, although it
might build only a subset of binutils if ld and gdb aren't supported.

Agreed.

Paolo