Re: RTEMS patch sweep 3

On 12/16/2009 07:45 PM, Jeff Johnston wrote:
On 16/12/09 12:53 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 12/16/2009 06:50 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Hi,

... and another one.

This patch aims at making some parts of newlib more posix compliant.

One part is #ifdef'ed __rtems__, because it relies on (POSIX) types
which (AFAICT) newlib currently are only supplies for RTEMS (blksize_t,
blkcnt_t) and because we haven't tested it in other configurations but
in RTEMS configurations.

Ralf

Oops, fingers faster than brains - The attachment containing the patch was missing ;)

Ralf

Shouldn't the added #endif be after the long st_spare4[]? Otherwise, you are changing the struct for the #if before it which normally wouldn't have included this field.

I am not sure. It would depend upon which purpose st_spare4 was intended to be used for, IMO.

Probably it was only "having 2 longs in reserve" to void breaking backward compatibility, in case should one want to extend "struct stat".

As we consider newlib-version upgrades to be "not ABI/API-preserving" and utilize newlib-version upgrades to deliberately break API/ABIs, this point is not of much importance to us.

The only effect keeping st_spare4 should have on RTEMS would be "wasting 2 longs" on "struct stat" and keeping this field available should newlib start using it internally.

That said, I don't have a problem with moving the #endif, such that st_spare4 stays also preserved on RTEMS.

Below is an updated patch, now with st_spare4 kept for RTEMS.

Ralf