Need to make customized newlib

Hi. I need to start working on making a pared-down version of newlib. I've got a build of binutils/GCC/newlib that work for our Xscale target, but FAA regs require that we actually strip from all source code any unused functions. So, I was hoping I could just build a separate newlib, and link our application against that, in lieu of the newlib that exists with the GCC installation.

Is this possible? I tried building newlib with ./configure -- target=xscale-elf, and then I built a test program that includes <stdio.h> and links against printf. Then I found the printf.c and commented out the implementation, and rebuilt, hoping that I'd get a link error with my test program now. But I don't.

How can I ensure that I'm linking against my second newlib? Is it even possible?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to approach this?

TIA,
--
Rick