Re: Patch to update libtool in GCC and Src trees

Steve Ellcey wrote:
What I meant to send in my last email:

Charles Wilson wrote:

However: on other platforms (see src/newlib/configure.host: at present,
only linux native) newlib may in fact use libtool.  It doesn't appear
that any of Steve's patches address that:

   (1) src/newlib/configure.in says "AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(..)" so
       newlib will see the "new" ltmain.sh
   (2) src/newlib/Makefile.am says "ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I ." so
       aclocal will use newlib/libtool.m4, which is "old", and NOT
       the "new" src/libtool.m4 and the other .m4 friends.
  .
  .
Either way, Steve's existing patch needs to be extended to do
_something_ with newlib, and that means a few more days of shakedown so
the linux-native-newlib guys can test it.

Charles,

Do you know who any of these linux-native-newlib folks are?  I am
looking for some guidance on how the users of libtool in newlib would
like to address this issue.  I am thinking that libtool.m4 should be
removed from the newlib directory.  I don't know why newlib has its
own copy of libtool anyway.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com

Hi Steve,

I am the maintainer of newlib. It's been so long, but IIRC, newlib had its own copy because we had to make a slight change at the time though I don't remember what.

Libtool is used automatically when we build newlib natively on x86-linux. To configure, one needs to specify --with-newlib.

Personally, I don't care what the ultimate solution is - just that newlib continues to build shared libraries for x86-linux one way or another after being configured natively on x86. If the easiest solution is to copy some files into the newlib directory, that's fine.