Re: [patch] Fix for libgloss/m68k

Masaki,

I have looked at the top-level Makefile.in for libgloss and noticed it is not passing CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET which is being used by the compiles in the m68k Makefile.in. I have applied the following patch:

2006-10-06 Jeff Johnston <jjohnstn@redhat.com>

        * Makefile.in: Add CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET and CCASFLAGS to
        FLAGS_TO_PASS.

This should solve problem 2 without having to do anything in m68k.

Regarding problem 1. I was kind of hoping some m68k experts would pipe up. Is there a workaround for the halt instruction? Is there a compiler architecture flag that could be checked to see if the halt insn is available? (similar to the situation we recently ran into with the ARM bx instruction).

-- Jeff J.

Masaki Muranaka wrote:
Hello Maintainers,

As I has reported, the mainline of libgloss/m68k was failed
to build on gcc 3.4.x.
(I've never tested on 4.x yet, but I guess 4.x is similar.)

It was caused by two reasons:
1. BDM uses halt instruction but some of m68k architectures
   don't support it.
2. CC in m68k-elf/*/libgloss/Makefile is overridden by
   libgloss/Makefile. So subdirs which accept halt was
   also built without -m{arch} option.

Attachment is a patch.

The best way to fix reason 2 is to edit libgloss/Makefile,
but I didn't. Could someone try to fix?

- - - -
libgloss/ChangeLog
2006-10-07  Masaki Muranaka  <monaka@monami-software.com>

    * m68k/Makefile.in: Add override directive to
    CC, AS, AR, LD, RANLIB.
    Add @bdm_comment@
    * m68k/configure.in: Add check whether CC supports
    halt instruction
    * m68k/configure: Regeneraete.
- - - -
--