sigh... newlib startup

Hi, all,

I'm not much further along in what I'm trying to do.

I have no OS, and am trying to link in and run newlib for an MPC8245
(603e).

I'm using my own linker script, but apparently the combination of things
I'm doing isn't working right at all.

First, when I link crt0.o from libgloss/rs6000 and call _start, it does
all this stuff to try to set up the relocation tables (I guess that's
what it's doing).  It crashes right before it calls main() because it's
somehow using all the wrong offsets into where it THINKS things should
be.  So I'm assuming I have a link error here.

Second, if I take out crt0.o and handle clearing bss myself, things
still don't work because apparently functions like sprintf() are going
to refer to that table anyway, and since it's not set up, it's all
garbage.

ARGH!

Can someone point me to some documentation, please, that will tell me
how to set all this up, including using my own linker file?  The linker
file is necessary because I need to put all the ROMable sections into
order starting at 0xFF000000, and then copy them into RAM later.

I've searched all over Google and the mail archives for information on
how to do this, but I've not been able to find anything on how this
should all be organized to make it work.

I'd really like to make this work, but I need a bit more information as
to how things are organized and fit together.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Matt Gessner