time(2) missing for target i386-elf (corrected)

[The previous version of the note was sent in error and before
editing.]

I used the latest newlib along with binutils and gcc to build a
cross-compiler with a target of i386-elf.  This compiler was used to
compile Lua <http://www.lua.org>, with the aim of placing it inside an
operating system that consists only of a Lua intrepreter inside a
small kernel.  When I linked Lua with libm, libc, and libnosys, there
was still one undefined symbol, time.  The Lua authors claim time(2)
is part of ANSI C, however my GNU/Linux manual page says it conforms
to SVr4, SVID, POSIX, X/OPEN, BSD 4.3.  In any event, is there a
reason time(2) is not part of the newlib C library?  If the reason is
simply no one has submitted a patch that adds this functionality, I'll
gladly supply the code.

John