Re: PATCH: ARMV7M support

Mark Mitchell wrote:
Shaun Jackman wrote:

Can you seperate the bare-metal and dependency (_exit and stdio)
component from the ARMv7M componenet of the patch? Non-ARMv7M targets
also benefit from your bare-metal/dependency work. I found the patch
difficult to read with the two matters mixed.

The dependency work (_exit.c, avoiding initialise_monitor_handles) is
actually already independent of ARM V7M; those changes apply to all ARM
configurations.  I could break the patch apart to make that more
obvious, if necessary.

However, you are correct that non-ARMV7M targets could benefit from the
option not to make semihosting calls in crt0.o.  I can easily add a
separate #ifdef for that.

You might as well make this change when you resubmit for Shaun.

(If acceptance of this patch is contingent on converting newlib to use
libgloss for ARM, I may not get to it very quickly.  It's not that I
don't agree that it's a good thing to do; it's just that I don't have
time to do it right now.  I will still get to it, but not for a week or
two.  This isn't meant to pressure for acceptance, it's just FYI.)

No, it is not contingent, but I trust you will do your best to get around to it; otherwise I have to do it. I'll look at why the sources aren't currently in sync regarding changes that apply to both.

Thanks,