advice on libraries for mcore

Hi,
     I am using the gcc cross compiler for mcore-elf on linux386 host,
and I find that although I can compile, but if the programs has a lot
of I/O library functions(fscanf,fseek), it causes the executables to
crash on gdb 6.3 simulator.  Some other functions which cause similar
issues are assert calls, socket function calls.  Is this an issue with
something lacking in the newlib support. Any  ideas on how i can solve
this issue ?

I will appreciate any help/pointers ...
thanks
Shrey