Wide character support?

I'd like to be able to use the C++ standard library std::wstring with
Cygwin.

What would be involved in adding wide character support to newlib?  In a
cgywin mailing list posting Christopher Faylor indicated that this is what
is needed.

Is this something that an outside developer could contribute? By "outside
developer" I mean someone familiar with general open source development
(i.e.. Boost), but not the culture of newlib development.

--Beman Dawes