Re: Patch: Extended libgloss support for ARM, replacing libc/sys/arm

Amended patch has been checked in. Torald, if you have problems with it, just let me know.

-- Jeff J.

Jeff Johnston wrote:
Jeff Johnston wrote:

Toralf Lund wrote:

Hello again,

I just tried to submit a patch via the mailing list. Unfortunately, the message got so large that the list software wouldn't accept it, so I've now uploaded the file to our FTP server instead. See:

ftp://ftp.procaptura.com/pub/newlib-libglossARM.patch

Original text:

Hi.

Here is (the first version of) a patch that will make some changes to
the ARM setup that were discussed on this list some time back. It will:

   1. Remove newlib/libc/sys/arm
   2. Add support files for RDI, RDP and "bare"/"nomon" system to
      libgloss/arm, based on the above.
   3. Set up libgloss/arm to build separate start files for nomon, RDI
      and RDP, and "BSP" libs for the latter two.
   4. Extend nomon crt0 so that it will set up stack for all execution
      modes, based on address value that may be specified externally,
      and call "init hooks" when present.

Comments are welcome. Note that as I haven't been able to test the RDI
and RDP code a lot, since I don't have boards with those debug monitors.

- Toralf

Toralf,

I noticed when I applied the patch that you left a few references to sys_dir=arm for the ep9312 and a few others. I have changed these and also changed libgloss to recognize the ep9312. I am currently building with the patch applied.

-- Jeff J.

After some discussion with an ARM maintainer, I have decided to alter the patch further to avoid extensive breakage of existing build processes. Instead of deleting libc/sys/arm I have decided to leave it up to the existing --disable-newlib-supplied-syscalls option to remove it. This will mean that the default will still be the current behavior. There will be a new machine/arm directory and there will be the new libgloss files being built. If the --disable-newlib-supplied-syscalls configure option is used, the sys/arm directory will not be built.

Torald, could you try out the attached patches to ensure your tests continue to work as expected (with the --disable-newlib-suppplied-syscalls option specified of course).