Re: [RFC]: Provide IEEE 1003.1-2003 ulimit()

Jeff wrote:
Nicholas,

This sounds similar to the other BSD submission you made. If your code requires any BSD-specific syscalls or interfaces (i.e. any syscall/interface that is not part of the generic newlib), then the code must be put in sys/bsd. You will have to create this directory. This is along the lines of sys/linux. Newlib is designed to work for embedded platforms, most without an OS. An example of an exception to the rule is the 64-bit I/O routines that are shared among a number of systems that have 64-bit syscalls. It is configurable and is needed to coexist properly with the regular I/O routines.
-- Jeff J.

Jeff,

Well this isn't a "BSD"-specific submission, as the subject points out, it is a ratified POSIX standard. As for my prior submission, I working on making it usable by everyone. However, for the record, I'm doing all this for Cygwin, not BSD, I just happen to make use of their source if it is appropriate to do so. Yes, I did use a syscall - getrlimit - but I was careful to make sure it was widely avaiable on both embedded and regular platforms. That syscall, according to the EL/IX-1.2 API specification, is a level 1 requirement, which, if I understand correctly, means it is supposed to be supported on linux/embedded, eCos, Vxworks, pSOS, RTEMS, etc. Also, getrlimit can found on just about any other major unix out there, just punch it in google (AIX, Solaris, SunOS, UnixWare, OSF/1, Tru64, HP/UX, BSD, Darwin, Linux, to name a few...). Since ulimit can be used by a majority of the OS's newlib compiles for as well as most of the popular embedded platforms, I don't understand why this is a problem.

Cheers,
Nicholas