Re: newlib-1.11.0:target-newlib target-libgloss is not supportedunder cygwin

Zhang, Shengqi wrote:
> I am trying to build newlib-1.11.0 for target mips under cygwin1.5
> i did as the following steps:
> $ mkdir objdir
> $ cd objdir
> $ ../newlib-1.11.0/configure --target=mips-linux
>
> then information was showed:
> Configuring for a i686-pc-cygwin host.
> *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
>      target-newlib target-libgloss
>     (Any other directories should still work fine.)
> Created "Makefile" in /cygdrive/d/software/gcc/newlib/objdir using "mh-frag" and
>  "mt-frag"
>
> i made it and i found that nothing had been built.
>
> I want to now why target-newlib target-libgloss cannot be supported.
>
>                             Stanley Zhang

The reason it does not build newlib is due to the following lines in the
top-level configure.in:

  mips*-*-linux*)
    noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs target-newlib target-libgloss"
    ;;

The noconfigdirs tells configuration to not configure, and thus not build,
those modules.  You will see the message above.

The configuration: mips-linux is not really supported in newlib.
The newlib/libc/sys/linux directory, which has a more robust
library taking advantage of syscalls, is currently only supported
for x86 linux.  To add another linux platform involves adding some assembly
code for syscalls, thread locks, etc..  No one has done this for
mips-linux (or another platform) as of yet.

Now, mips-elf can be configured and built fine.  Is there any reason
you cannot use a mips-elf newlib?