wince newlib and a GUI application.

I have been assigned to write a GUI application for WinCE.  I have a
toolchain setup and working that generates good console applications
using gcc+binutils+newlib all built for the arm-wince-pe platform.
What I want to do is to build an GUI mode application that won't
include a console.  To achieve this after searching the web for
possible solutions I tried "-Wl,--subsystem,windows" which
was accepted but didn't do anything and --mwindows which
the compiler didn't like.

Any hints or documentation links I should read?

Clark