Re: Newlib resolver [was Re: minires-0.95 - a new package ready forreview]

Elfyn McBratney wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, J. Johnston wrote:

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 07:26:27PM -0400, J. Johnston wrote:

From the sounds of it, it belongs in winsup because it uses Windows APIs.

Corinna
has already removed the newlib/libc/sys/cygwin directory from newlib.

That's just a minor part of the story.  It uses *one* function from the
Windows API which is used if /etc/resolve.conf is not available.
All the rest of minires is using pure socket functionality and therefore
just a tiny part of the lib is actually Windows dependent.  Even on Windows,
a resolve.conf overwrites using the Windows API.

So this has nothing to do with Cygwin in the first place.  Minires
would add a resolver lib to newlib which is 99% platform independent
and the 1% Windows API could be appropriately ifdef'd out.

Does that sound different now?

Yes. It would have to be configuration dependent so it is not built for the majority of embedded platforms that won't have socket support. It should also have inlined or external documentation.

I'm working up a patch for libresolv but I'm having one problem. In
newlib/libresolv/configure.in I have:

  [...]
  NEWLIB_CONFIGURE(..)
  [...]

(I used libm as a template) Which gives me an error when making
`all-newlib-target':

  running /bin/sh /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure
  [...]
  /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure: line 1485: syntax error near unexpected token `..'
  /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure: line 1485: `NEWLIB_CONFIGURE(..)'
  configure: error: /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure failed for libresolv

  /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure: 715: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
  configure: error: /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure failed for libresolv
  make: *** [configure-target-newlib] Error 1

I'm guessing this is an Autotools cockpit error on my part. I'm using
autoconf-2.57 and automake-1.7.5 (Cygwin), if that helps. Any clues on what I've
done wrong? I re-autotooled using `aclocal -I NEWLIB-SRC-DIR; autoconf;
automake' (where NEWLIB-SRC-DIR is the top-level newlib dir; so it can pick up
the .m4 files) in the libresolv directory.

Elfyn

--

Elfyn,

  Try using autoconf 2.13 and automake 1.4 and let me know how this works for you.  This
is what I use today.  I also use the --cygnus flag when doing automake.