Re: Newlib resolver [was Re: minires-0.95 - a new package ready forreview]

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, J. Johnston wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 07:26:27PM -0400, J. Johnston wrote:
> >
> >>From the sounds of it, it belongs in winsup because it uses Windows APIs.
> >>Corinna
> >>has already removed the newlib/libc/sys/cygwin directory from newlib.
> >

> > That's just a minor part of the story.  It uses *one* function from the
> > Windows API which is used if /etc/resolve.conf is not available.
> > All the rest of minires is using pure socket functionality and therefore
> > just a tiny part of the lib is actually Windows dependent.  Even on Windows,
> > a resolve.conf overwrites using the Windows API.
> >
> > So this has nothing to do with Cygwin in the first place.  Minires
> > would add a resolver lib to newlib which is 99% platform independent
> > and the 1% Windows API could be appropriately ifdef'd out.
> >
> > Does that sound different now?
> >

> Yes.  It would have to be configuration dependent so it is not built for the
> majority of embedded platforms that won't have socket support.  It should
> also have inlined or external documentation.

I'm working up a patch for libresolv but I'm having one problem. In
newlib/libresolv/configure.in I have:

  [...]
  NEWLIB_CONFIGURE(..)
  [...]

(I used libm as a template) Which gives me an error when making
`all-newlib-target':

  running /bin/sh /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure
  [...]
  /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure: line 1485: syntax error near unexpected token `..'
  /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure: line 1485: `NEWLIB_CONFIGURE(..)'
  configure: error: /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure failed for libresolv

  /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure: 715: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
  configure: error: /local/cvs-mirror/winsup/newlib/libresolv/configure failed for libresolv
  make: *** [configure-target-newlib] Error 1

I'm guessing this is an Autotools cockpit error on my part. I'm using
autoconf-2.57 and automake-1.7.5 (Cygwin), if that helps. Any clues on what I've
done wrong? I re-autotooled using `aclocal -I NEWLIB-SRC-DIR; autoconf;
automake' (where NEWLIB-SRC-DIR is the top-level newlib dir; so it can pick up
the .m4 files) in the libresolv directory.

Elfyn