Re: err configuring newlib for powerpc-linux

Anandapadmanabhan,Ramanathan wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to setup an cross development envrn. for powerpc-linux on
i686-linux.
Built binutils 2.13.90.0.4 and GCC (cross) 3.2 and was then trying to
configure and compile newlib 1.11.0
(anything wrong with using newlib here?. Mine is an embedded powerpc
-MPC8260- target system)

Newlib is barred by the *-*-linux* catchall in the top-level configure.in (i.e. it is not newlib that is preventing this). However, do you really need powerpc-linux? Would powerpc-eabi or powerpc-elf suffice for your embedded application?

-- Jeff J.

-----------------screen shot----
[root@linuxswan newlib-powerpc]# ../newlib-1.11.0/configure
--target=powerpc-linux
Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnu host.
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     target-newlib target-libgloss
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)
Created "Makefile" in /root/anandapa/newlib-powerpc using "mt-frag"
./config.status is unchanged
[root@linuxswan newlib-powerpc]#
--------
I think the configuration step is incomplete here in setting up an cross
dev. environment to build applications for powerpc.
(library will not get compiled and installed with this config. I guess. Why
is it not taking directories recursive?)

I even, went on doing a  'make all install' and tried compiling a sample
application.

[root@linuxswan wd]# powerpc-linux-gcc -I /usr/include test.c
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-linux/3.2/../../../../powerpc-linux/bin/ld:
cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Could some one correct me with the proper configuration steps required?

Thanks.

Rgds,
Ramanathan G A