build from newlib directory broken for cygwin

I just wanted to enter for the record, the fact that I can no longer
build a cygwin version of newlib by cd'ing to a newlib build directory
and typing "make".

I know that Corinna knows about this problem but I thought I should
probably archive it for the record.

This is a significant problem for me since I rarely build from the top
level and would really rather not be forced to build all of the irrelevant
crap required to build newlib if I know that I don't need to do so.

cgf