Modifying ARM syscalls.c for terminal I/O

Hi all,

i'm using gcc3.1.2 built for an arm-elf target running on a i686-pc-cygwin host. At present all I/O is achieved using my own arm assembly routines that make use of the on chip uart. I would now like to be able to use printf!! I do not have the use of Angel or Demon i/o services.

So far i've gathered that i need to modify libc/sys/arm/syscalls.c in order to achieve this. The approach i'm taking at the moment is to replace the function _swiwrite() with a function that would wrap my own assembly routine. The assembly routine simply bit bangs individual characters down the serial port.

My question is are my modifcations in the correct area? would anyone have any alternative suggestions to this "wrapper" approach???

Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated!

Regards,
Paul.