newlib on sparc64?

hi,

this may be a dumb question, but i thought i'd ask anyway.  we're wanting
to build newlib to be a sparc64 replacement for glibc, and to be used with
gcc for sparc64.  we want smaller, more targeted applications for some
studies we're working on.

this could be either solaris or linux native, we're indifferent to which
way it goes.

does this work (for either variant, sol v linux)?  anyone have any caveats
or such?

thanks,

josh