Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions (take 2)

On Sunday, January 12, 2003, at 12:13 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:

1) I notice that you made the existing pseudo-AC_PROG_CC/CXX macros
   work again with 2.5x; this is wrong.  Get rid of them entirely,
   use the canonical AC_PROG_CC/CXX, and if they don't work right,
   patch autoconf until they do.
The original theory was that I was trying to keep the diffs to a minimum, and that once the switch was flipped on 2.x, we could go back and make a lot of more interesting cleanups to the configure scripts. But I think you're right that my changes ended up complicated enough that I should just replace them with the modern versions; I'll do that.

2) Why did you disable the shared config.cache?  It speeds up 'make
   configure' by an order of magnitude, especially on slow machines.
I didn't disable the config.cache in the top-level scripts; it's just that the new default is for autoconf to use a null cache file unless configured with '-C'. A good portion of my patch is actually present solely to fix the use of a top-level cache file --- there were a number of places where whitespace triggered the "value changed between runs" checks in 2.5x. I did disable the target config.cache, because there were places where things really were being run with different flags between runs (for example, the value of libstdcxx_flags varies by directory), and fixing that seemed beyond the scope of the initial conversion to 2.5x.