Re: how to run automake/conf on newlib

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Am Mit, 2003-01-08 um 19.50 schrieb Earnie Boyd:

Joel Sherrill wrote:

"J. Johnston" wrote:

The instructions are valid.  I am able to use autoconf 2.13 in
the specified directory with no problems.  I do not know why your autoconf 2.13
is failing and mine works fine.  Perhaps this is an issue for the autoconf
maintainers.

Could you please doublecheck your auto* versions against newlib 1.11.0
and report the versions you are using?
I think you have to use a new autoconf and an old automake. I think I made it work with the combination of autoconf 2.57 and automake
1.4-p5.

Newlib has never tested using autoconf 2.5x and it is not
supported.

Hmmm... me thinks you are wrong here.  newlib 1.11.0 has
this all over the place:

../a29k/configure.in:AC_PREREQ(2.5)
../arm/configure.in:AC_PREREQ(2.5)
../d10v/configure.in:AC_PREREQ(2.5)
../d30v/configure.in:AC_PREREQ(2.5)

That's autoconf version 2.5 which is less that autoconf version 2.13 and is less than autoconf version 2.50.

... which probably better should be altered to using AC_PREREQ(2.13) ...

Run this:

find . -name configure -exec grep 'configure generated' {} \; \
| sort -u
    echo "configure generated by autoconf version 2.10"
    echo "configure generated by autoconf version 2.12"
    echo "configure generated by autoconf version 2.12.1"
    echo "configure generated by autoconf version 2.12.2"
    echo "configure generated by autoconf version 2.13"

This proofs that newlib's configures have all been generated by
different ancient versions of autoconf.

I am aware of the AC_PREREQs which were put in place by Ian Lance Taylor
a long time ago.  I was told that autoconf has forked.  These newer versions
have not been tested.  I thought that 2.57 was one of these.  I am certainly
not clear on autoconf's versioning numbers - whether 2.5x is really 2.5.x or
if it is 2.5x where 5x > 13?  Regardless, I wouldn't count on an older autoconf
version working either.  You are correct that the prereqs should be updated.