Re: how to run automake/conf on newlib

The instructions are valid.  I am able to use autoconf 2.13 in
the specified directory with no problems.  I do not know why your autoconf 2.13
is failing and mine works fine.  Perhaps this is an issue for the autoconf
maintainers.

Newlib has never tested using autoconf 2.5x and it is not
supported.

-- Jeff J.

Joel Sherrill wrote:
Jeff, are these instructions still current with newlib 1.11.0?

I am updating the patch that adds the ARM memcpy.S with the
advertising license and getting these results when I run autoconf
in the libc/machine/arm subdirectory.

bash-2.05$ /usr/bin/autoconf --version
Autoconf version 2.13
bash-2.05$ /usr/bin/autoconf
FATAL ERROR: Autoconf version 2.54 or higher is required for this script
bash-2.05$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is
NO
PURPOSE.
bash-2.05$ autoconf
configure:1895: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_CC_GNU
If this token and others are legitimate, please use
m4_pattern_allow.
See the Autoconf documentation.
configure:1902: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_CC_G

On a positive note, newlib 1.11.0 appears to have nearly all of the
patches that were in the RTEMS patch. I need to confirm that the signal.h changes we had are no longer needed though.

Thanks.

--joel

"J. Johnston" wrote:

The steps in the machine/xxx dir would be:

 1. aclocal -I ../../..     /* the -I ../../.. points to the top-level newlib dir */
 2. autoconf
 3. automake --cygnus Makefile

Step 1 above has a dependency on newlib/acinclude.m4 and configure.in.
Step 2 is dependent on configure.in and aclocal.m4.  Step 3 is dependent on
Makefile.am, configure.in, and aclocal.m4.  Simply put: if you do any step
because of a change, all steps after it should be done as well.

You should only have to redo aclocal if the top-level acinclude.m4 changes
or you change macros you are using in your configure.in.  You don't have to
guard against the latter case by running aclocal - just be aware of it if autoconf
complains about a missing macro after you make a configure.in change.

We currently use autoconf 2.13 and automake 1.4.