Re: Problem with automake

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 08:21, Stefan Heinzmann wrote:
> Hi all,

Hello

> I understand that when I change any configure.in or Automake.am in one
> of the subdirectories in the newlib source, I have to rerun autoconf
> and automake from the toplevel directory and it will find and process
> all respective files in the subdirectory tree. Is this the case?

Confusingly enough, configure.in in the top-level directory (src/) is
NOT an autoconf file.  Running autoconf in this directory will produce
an empty configure file.  Don't run any of the autotools in this
directory.  You shouldn't need to make any newlib-related changes here
anyway.

When you change a Makefile.am file in the newlib sources, you must run
automake --cygnus to regenerate the corresponding Makefile.in.  automake
requires a configure.in to be present in the directory in which it is
run.  So where you run automake depends on where the closest
configure.in resides.

For example:

src/newlib/libc/ contains configure.in and Makefile.am files.
If you change src/newlib/libc/Makefile.am, run automake --cygnus there.
If you change src/newlib/libc/ctype/Makefile.am, run automake --cygnus
in src/newlib/libc/ again.  automake will go through the subdirectories
listed in src/newlib/libc/Makefile.am's SUBDIRS variable, and regenerate
all the Makefile.in's accordingly.

The --cygnus option is required in newlib so that certain tools we use
during the build process will be searched for in the build tree as well
as in the PATH environment variable.

When you change a configure.in, run automake --cygnus (since the
generated Makefile.in(s) depend on configure.in), and then autoconf in
its directory.

Hope this helps,
Tom

--