Re: newlib "light!

Wolfgang Fritz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am developing communications applications on a 68LC302 platform using
> the gcc toolchain and newlib. I've seen the binaries are much bigger as
> the same application generated with a commercial toolchain. This is not
> a compiler but a newlib issue. The commercial library does not have
> floating point support, which is not needed in my application. (They
> have a floating point version too).
>
> My question: Is it possible to strip down newlib to a  pure integer
> version (printf etc.)? A short look into the sources showed some
> #defines which may imply that it is possible, but I could not find
> options to configure it. The newlib sources are a real jungle for me.
>
> Is there any documentation available how to tailor newlib?

There is no documentation in this respect other than what's in the code.

I would suggest an experiment.  Try just #define'ing the various printf routines
to point to their iprintf counterparts which are built without floating point
support.
See how that lowers your application size.  If it solves your problem I can tie
it
to a configuration option.  If you are using scanf routines, there is a
NO_FLOATING_POINT
flag you can specify when building vfscanf.o.