Recent changes to newlib Makefiles break cygwin

I'm surprised that no one attempted to build cygwin after the recent
huge change to newlib configury.

Unless I'm missing something, vfprintf.o is being miscompiled, resulting
in this error:
/cygnus/build/win32/i686-pc-cygwin/newlib/libc/libc.a(vfiprintf.o)(.text+0x2ad):vfprintf.c: undefined reference to `__imp____mb_cur_max'

This is due to the fact that vfprintf.o is, AFAICT, the only object file
in the newlib/libc/stdio directory that is not compiled with the
-D_COMPILING_NEWLIB option (among other options).

Could we get this fixed, please?  Either that or tell me what I'm doing
wrong...

cgf