Re: Mips optimized versions of strlen, strncpy, strcmp

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 03:44:06PM -0500, Michael Meissner wrote:

> In general, I feel that the str* (& to some extent the mem*) functions
> in newlib could be better tuned for different machines (I suspect you
> may wind up with 3-4 versions, depending on whether a machine has pre
> or post incrementation, how deep the pipeline is to/from memory,
> etc.).

I was looking at these a few weeks ago as well...  the loop unrolling
done in some of the string operations is silly to do on m68k cpu32
variants, since they have a loop mode.  I imagine other architectures
are similar.

maybe some of these could be moved to libgloss for the architecture-
specific implementations?

--
  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  aaron@frye.com
     "In a few thousand years people will be scratching their heads