Re: Compiling with newlib headers?

"Russ.Shaw" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't understand: "put newlib under the gcc tree"
>
> Do you mean simply make another directory in the top
> level directory of the whole gcc tree thing by copying
> the newlib tree there? If so, what name does configure
> expect for that newlib entry?

You only need to put the libgloss and newlib subdirectories
under gcc-XXX.  This can be via link (RTEMS RPM specs do it
this way), mv, or copy.  The configure gcc with "--with-newlib".
It takes care of the rest.

The top level Makefile's/configure expect them to be called
newlib and libgloss.

NOTE:  In a newlib-XXX distribution, I am referring to
the directories newlib-XXX/libgloss and newlib-XXX/newlib.

--joel

> Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > Years of practice have lead me to believe the right thing to
> > do is :
> >
> >   build and install binutils
> >   make sure cross binutils are in PATH
> >   put newlib under the gcc tree and build them together
> >   build and install gdb
> >
> > We used to build binutils, gcc, and newlib at the same time.  Even
> > keeping the top level configury in sync for those was a pain.
> >

> --
> *   Russell Shaw, B.Eng, M.Eng(Research)  *
> *      email: russell@webaxs.net          *
> *      Victoria, Australia                *

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985