Re: Mauve license

Stuart Ballard wrote:
But as I understand it their current plan is to use Mauve *in addition
to* (and secondary to) their own test suite and only develop their own
tests in their own repository.

So we end up with two test suites being developed by two disjoint
groups, both of whom are free to (and likely to) *run* the other
group's suite against their own implementation, but still no actual
cooperation.

This can make sense if the Harmony tests are Harmony-specific. Otherwise I don't see what the point is.

Basically, I just don't see why Mauve *should* be GPL. There's
absolutely no benefit in claiming copyleft on it and a considerable
benefit from not doing so. Other than the issue of finding copyright
holders, why *shouldn't* it be X11 or modified-BSD licensed so that
anyone can use it as they see fit?

There may be no real reason it should be GPL, but in any case it is... so.. what's the problem with that? I mean, from a practical standpoint.

But you seem also to be asking the religious question "why GPL"?
Like most religious questions that one has no objective "answer"..

If you really want to hear an "answer" then you can read the "official"
one in the GPL FAQ...

-Archie