Re: Some issues..

Thomas Zander writes:

 > On Saturday 03 April 2004 15:15, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Thomas Zander writes:
 > >  > Next CVS does not compile with suns javac
 > >  > (gnu/testlet/java/text/SimpleDateFormat/attribute.java)
 > >
 > > Would you please help us here by sending a patch?
 >
 > It seems the author used some illegal constructs; I'm not sure what he meant
 > so I'll send the error messages instead.
 >
 >     [javac] Compiling 678 source files to /home/zander/sources/java/mauve/build
 >     [javac] /home/zander/sources/java/mauve/gnu/testlet/java/text/SimpleDateFormat/attribute.java:160: illegal start of expression
 >     [javac]     static Format.Field[] fields = new Format.Field[] {
 >     [javac]         ^
 >     [javac] /home/zander/sources/java/mauve/gnu/testlet/java/text/SimpleDateFormat/attribute.java:165: illegal start of expression
 >     [javac]     static int[] begin = new int[] {
 >     [javac]         ^
 >     [javac] /home/zander/sources/java/mauve/gnu/testlet/java/text/SimpleDateFormat/attribute.java:168: illegal start of expression
 >     [javac]     static int[] end = new int[] {
 >
 > I don't think these 'static' modifiers are needed in the first place; but why were
 > they added?

Beats me.  Whatever they are for, they do nothing to test date formatting.

 > Second; I found at least one directory that contains java files without a
 > package; leading it to be uncompilable (due to duplicate class names)
 > I found:
 > gnu/testlet/BinaryCompatibility/altered/
 > Should those have package lines??

No.  This package comes with a script that does the building and
copies some files around.  I suppose you could create a Ant version of
this script.

 > >  > Please make the project seem 'less dead' to the passing eye!!  If
 > >  > Red-hat does not do anything; what about moving the project to
 > >  > sourceforge or savannah ??
 > >
 > > How would moving the project to a different server help?  Many people
 > > contribute to Mauve, Red Hat provide the server.
 >
 > Oh; I did not want to imply mauve can't run on a RedHat server; my
 > intent was to let you know of the problems. And since I could not
 > imagine being the first to notice them I added a suggestion in case
 > the pages on RedHat's servers were not available to the project
 > members.
 > Anyway;  Please make the project seem 'less dead' to the passing eye!!

 > >  > maybe someone here can answer my question posted on the
 > >  > classpath list a couple of days ago (providing a patch to mauve).
 > >  > http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2004-04/msg00000.html
 > >
 > > It was a very strange patch.  A tarfile with one file that was a diff,
 > > and a new directory.  However, that patch looks reasonable enough.
 > > However, there was no ChangeLog entry; we'll need one of those.
 >
 > I noticed that the patch does not cleanly apply anymore; here is a new diff.

Sorry to make this difficult, but the ChangeLog must contain the names
of all the files that are added, with some comment.  The diff must
contain everything that changes: use "diff -N" to generate diffs with
new files.

Andrew.