Re: 600+ BigDecimal tests

--- Anthony Green <green@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 15:39, Stephen Crawley wrote:
> >   * Some of the other tests check exception
> message strings, and are
> >     failing because the messages are different.
> >
> > I don't know whether this is a bug or not.  Is
> Classpath aiming to
> > give the same exception messages as the Sun JDK
> implementation ???
>
> I don't think so (could be wrong).  I suppose we
> should remove these
> tests.

I'd vote for a change to catch the exception and
ignore the message. After all, free implementations
may (have) come up with more understandable,
localized, superior messages to those provided by
Sun's implementation. It would be counterproductive to
force them to change them  to Sun's version.

> >   * The 'has001' failure is due to differences in
> the way that
> >     Classpath and the SUN JDK are calculating
> hashcodes.
> >
> > I don't know whether this is a bug or not.  Is
> Classpath aiming to
> > give the same hash code values as the Sun JDK
> implementation ???
>
> I know that some people have spent time figuring out
> how Sun hashes
> various objects, although I don't know if this is a
> policy.

I think the essential question here is: can having
different hash methods bite you in some way? Beside
obvious hashing performance considerations, I doubt
it.

best regards,
dalibor topic