Backward compatibility

I have kind of munged myself from pure test writing to the occasional patch
to the classpath itself.  Now I have a serious issue to raise.  Is there
any intent and/or strategy for backward compatibilty?  For example, if the
1.1 API says "throw IOException here" and the 1.2 and later APIs say "throw
FileNotFoundException here", should the 1.1 be ignored in favor of the 1.2?
Of course, the question applies to far more than exception football.  There
are fundamental behaviors that change, as well.
--
Daryl Lee
Open the present--it's a gift.