Testing Abstract Classes

I ran JDK 1.1 tests of FileReader before noticing it was an abstract class.
Since an abstract class can't be instantiated, is the notion of testing it
meaningful?  If so, what would be a good general approach?  Pending an
answer, I'm going to skip over this and all other abstracts.

--
Daryl Lee
Open the present--it's a gift.