Re: ResourceBundle variants and child variants

Hi,

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 12:27, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Mark Wielaard writes:
>  > Mauve contains a couple of java.util.ResourceBundle checks that test for
>  > "child variants". The Java Class Libraries, Volume 1, Second Edition
>  > explains these things and gives some examples. e.g
>  > ErrorResources_de_CH_WIN_95 and ErrorResources_de_CH_WIN_311 are both
>  > child variants of ErrorResources_de_CH_WIN. Mauve even contains some
>  > tests to check that these child variants are correctly searched for.
>  >
>  > The API Spec as found online however does not talk about child variants
>  > at all. And a quick test against the Sun JDK 1.4.1 implementation seems
>  > to suggest that it does not implement support for these child variants.
>  >
>  > Which specification should we take as normative?
>  > Do the different class libraries implementations implement it?
>  > (GNU Classpath and libgcj don't support them, kaffe does.)
>  > Should these tests be removed from Mauve?
>
> I would think so.  There's no way that Mauve should be testing
> anything outside the specifications.

But the question is, what is considered The Specification?
I use The Java Class Libraries books a lot when implementing classes.
And since it describes the child variants it could also be argued that
the online API doc (and most implementations except for Kaffe) is
flawed.

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. The Java Class Libraries supplemental does not cover the 1.2
changes to ResourceBundle :{